On Friday 10th June 2011, I am going for a walk; but not just any walk.
I decided that when I had the time I would go for a walk to see how far I can go within a certain time. Rather than plan, plot, scheme, re-plan, deliberate, discuss and re-re-plan, I’ve decided to just go for a 10 hr walk this Friday and see how far I can go (roughly the amount of daylight available in Sydney at the moment). It’s been dubbed the Freaky Friday Footslog.
This walk is going to be the first fundraising activity I undertake to support my participation in the Black Dog Ride 2011. All donations will go to the Black Dog Institute to fund their ongoing research into mood disorders such as depression and bipolar.
There won’t be much in the way of structure to this walk but I do have some guidelines:
- I aim to meander through suburbs and stop for rest breaks as & when needed
- I will carry food & water with me, but may stop for a hot chocolate somewhere along the way
- I should be able to keep a sustained walking pace of 5km/h, for a distance of 40-50km (factoring in breaks, traffic lights, major road crossings, etc.)
- And in the theme of throwing planning out the window, at the moment I have no idea how I will get home.
Let me know if you’d like to join me or recommend any suburbs to try and wander through (and don’t forget to donate if you can! :-))
ADDENDUM: 5:30pm Friday 10th June:
I’m back from the walk! Here are the stats on what I achieved today. Unfortunately you can’t see the entire route as the app crashed after approx 28km, but The big numbers first:
- 28km in 4:37:55 avg pace 9:56 min/km (the big part)
- 1.3km in 12:47 avg pace 9:49 min/km (this was ‘rushing’ to get some lunch 😉 )
- 9.98km in 1:39:03 avg pace 9:55min/km (the return journey to 3pm)
Total: 39.28km in 6:29:45 avg pace 9:54min/km.
- My legs are sore, and so are my feet, but I feel good for doing it.
- I did not reach the 40km mark but believe I can do better next time with a different pair of shoes and better weather at the end.
9 replies on “I’m going for a walk…”
I think you should head off in the direction of Canada Bay, then towards Hunters Hill… I wish you well. If EB is busy, I am at home and can come get you if needs be!
May peace be with you.
@Jeff Marsh Thanks Jeff! That sounds like a good direction to head – we’ll have to wait and see where the roads take me 🙂
What a fabulous idea! Enjoy your more-than-a-walk walk. 🙂
@Tyna Chua Thanks Tyna! I hope you are doing well 🙂
Do you have a favourite charity? Maybe we could sponsor you?
@Gavin Heaton Great idea, Gavin! I’ll amend the post and tweets soon! 🙂
Nice quote 😉
Awesome idea Andrew! I’d really love to join you but I’d have to walk 3947kms just to get to the start line 🙂 Best of luck.
@Steve Andrews Thanks Steve – let’s call it even and meet in the middle in August…how’s that sound? 🙂